We're a family of Christians with a fulfilling history of doing God's will by reaching out to those in need.
Our Historical Heritage
Woodland West is a part of a large fellowship of independent churches associated with the Restoration Movement, or Stone-Campbell Movement, that took shape in America during the 19th century when the United States was a young nation. The primary thrust of this movement was an appeal to all Christians to set aside denominational identities and to simply be Christians who follow the teachings of Christ and the Apostles as recorded in the Holy Scriptures.
Over 5 Decades of Service
In 1959 a loaf of bread cost twenty cents, Alaska and Hawaii were admitted to the union, a Ford Thunderbird cost $3,200, and gasoline was only twenty-five cents per gallon! It was in this year, Sunday, October 11, 1959 to be exact, that 12 families began worshiping together as the Pantego Church of Christ.
By 1961 the growing church selected their first elders and built a small building on Milby Road in Arlington, TX. Soon after the church began regularly supporting missionaries in Guam, Belgium, and the newly established Christ Haven Home for Children in Keller, TX.
The congregation eventually outgrew the facility on Milby Road, so they began to seek a larger meeting place. In 1967 the "Woodland West" community (one of the first planned communities in the United States) was developed, which ultimately became our current home. A new building was built and with it came a new name — Woodland West Church of Christ. The first service was held on Sunday, October 1, 1967.
A Body of Believers Making a Difference
1981 was a landmark year for Woodland West Church of Christ. In this year the Arlington Church of Christ united with Woodland West to form one family. Together this group of Christians would go on to establish many efforts to share God's love that are still part of what we do today.
Children from several Arlington neighborhoods were transported to Sunday school aboard a fleet of Woodland West Church of Christ Joy Busses. The Hearts & Hands ministry was founded in 1983 to gather and distribute groceries to thousands of needy families each year. In 1985 an encouragement card ministry began by providing members an opportunity each Sunday to send written notes of prayer and encouragement to other members, co-workers, friends and neighbors. These are merely a few things that make Woodland West Church of Christ a family of givers.
Reaching Out to Others
A major renovation was made in 2002 to the auditorium, and a new family life building was added along with new classrooms to provide a facility capable of meeting our growing family. We have a strong commitment to providing a place where our members can grow spiritually and reach out to others.
Woodland West Church of Christ is more than a building where people come together, it's a group of people committed to fulfilling God's will. Through an abundance of programs offered to the local community, children's events, English courses through FriendSpeak, overseas missions, and many other efforts, we continually seek ways to serve and love those in need.
Whether single or married, young or elderly, there is a place for everybody at Woodland West Church of Christ.
We are Blessed!
The Lord has blessed Woodland West Church of Christ for over a half century, in more ways than can be measured. With God's blessings we continue to grow even stronger in His love and in His will. As the chorus to the old hymn goes, "We’ll work till Jesus comes, we'll work till Jesus comes… and then be gathered home."
Services & Meeting Times
Worship Service at 10:30 AM on Sundays
Bible Classes at 9:30 AM on Sundays
Growth Groups at 6:00 PM on Sundays
Bible Study at 7:00 PM on Wednesdays